Friday, April 15, 2011

dreams- one chance

Most books have happily ever after endings. Most books just
wrap up the whole story making us happy, yet much easier for us to forget them.
Then there are those special ones that don’t end the way we want them to end. They
leave us fighting with the author about it, yet they leave us thinking.


In a book I read, called “Seventeenth summer” by Maureen Daly, Angie
falls in love with jack in the summer. She has to go to college in Chicago and
Jack has to go to Oklahoma by the end of summer.


Through the beginning of the book everything seemed great, but as it got
near the end of summer, I started thinking for and fighting with Angie. I wouldn’t
let her think about going to college and leaving Jack. I wanted her to leave everything
for her first love because it seemed as if she would have been happy for the rest
of her life with him.


Yet, before I read this book, I told my mother that no man will make me
give up college. That made her happy since she gave up college herself for my
father. She has lost an experience that she can no longer get, but she gives me
a chance to enjoy what she never did.


Angie too, promised her mother she would go to college. I think that’s
why she didn’t leave the idea. Also, maybe the love she felt was not strong enough.
It may have looked strong enough to me, yet it might have differed for her.


At first the ending made me angry for a whole week. I didn’t believe
Angie made the right choice. But, after thinking it over, I knew that she had not
made the wrong choice. She had made herself happy by going for her dreams. Dreams
that do not give a second chance and love always have second chances. She had
made her parents happy as well.


The books that end with no “happily ever after” can be more negative but actually
teach more about life. In life, we have to give up something for something
else. There’s always death and violence in between. And I believe it’s good for
teens to start learning that life won’t be easy. Life isn’t easy.



1 comment:

  1. Susan! You moved without telling us!! 804 misses you a lot, by the way ( all of 51 does )
    you should keep blogging though-your posts are great. =]

    ReplyDelete