Monday, November 15, 2010

looking at the cover and getting the plot

It’s almost impossible to get the plot of the story just by looking at its cover. Not looking on the blurb or the first page of the book. But from the picture you could get a whole lot. So the book that I could catch it from, is looks. The cover has a big O and a small O in the title looks. Inside the big O is an obese and big girl while in the small O there is a really skinny girl. There’s a reflection of both the girls.
I took some of my knowledge from people. This time obese people. I think the girl will feel insecure about her body and hide behind her layer of fats.  Took this from some books I read by Sarah Dessen about finding friends and getting confidence and sticking up for herself. This book could be a lot like the book I’m just going to start to read.  The two girls in the front could stick together and defeat whoever and whatever that stands from their happiness.
People hurt other people and bully them for being too skinny or too fat. And because the cover shows two opposite girls still they might have something in common. This book may revolve around one subject bullying and sticking up to it with the help of a friend. And already I know that I will be seeing a lot of depth and emotion in this book. Having to learn about a subject I love.
I can’t really say how it feels for people to criticize you for being too fat or too skinny because I have never been one or the other. But I feel like I’m the character, skin and bones or layers of fat, just by looking at the book, and better when ill finally read the book. I’m excited o come with a solution and make a new friend in the book. So the minute I finish this book I’m going to get real lost in the book.
What I didn’t notice before but just 10 seconds before I started writing this paragraph was the skinny’s girl hand gesture. She had her hands tied around her fragile body. Maybe just maybe there will be some problems with eating disorders in this book like in the book skinny. In fact this book could be of many problems revolving around one big problem.
I just hope I’m right from looking at the cover but soon about a minute I’ll find out. And maybe I’ll tell you if I was right. I might get a little piece right and the rest wrong but that’s okay because every noticer looks at things differently. next time you read a book look at the cover first and decide whether it was worth it. do it and tell me because i think its totally worth just taking a few minutes to look at the cover.
book cover of 
Looks 
by
Madeleine George

2 comments:

  1. great job! this cover has a lot of meaning , and you pointed it out. I love how it explains the mood, plot, and nearly everything about the book. I think that the way to tell if a book is good is by looking at the cover. A good example is the book SOLD. you can tell that it is not a happy topic, not nearly. A horrible example is A Wrinkle in Time. not one of the many covers (I've seen six) say anything about the book at all. just kids riding weird centaur with wings. nice for a painting, but for a book cover, no. anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. susan, nice job using your "unpacking" skills with the cover. creative idea.

    ReplyDelete